Flying to Canada? – Electronic Travel Authorization

Reference Letter Canada

Electronic Travel Authorization

As of November 10, 2016, a new entry requirement is in effect! In essence, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to, or transit through a Canadian airport, need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).


Briefly, U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa, as well as, Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA. Further, visa-exempt travellers do not need an eTA when entering Canada by land (e.g. car or bus) or sea (e.g. cruise ship).

Electronic Travel Authorization
Copyright: believeinme33 / 123RF Stock Photo


An eTA can be valid for up to 5 years or until your passport expires. For example, if you get a new passport, you will need to get a new eTA. With a valid eTA you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to 6 months at a time).

Make sure you donā€™t get scammed!

If you need an eTA, go to to apply. It is the only official Government of Canada website to apply for an eTA. Applying for an eTA is a simple and inexpensive online process. In summary, all you need is: $7 CAD, your passport and an email address. For more information visit IRCC.

Youtube Video – eTA scam alert

CIC News

Author – Katharina Kontaxis, RCIC

More To Explore

implied status canada
Temporary Residence

Implied Status in Canada

What is implied status?  The Canadian concept of extension by law is the automatic extension of temporary resident status as a visitor, worker or student per

alberta online portal
Permanent Residence

Alberta PNP Is Presenting Its Online Portal

On October 1, 2020, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) will introduce its new online portal to meet Albertaā€™s future labour market needs and maintain long-term economic growth. Outlook Education Employment

immigration and refugee board of canada
Access to Justice

The IRB resumes ā€œpre-COVIDā€ in-person hearings

Since early May 2020, the Immigration and Refugee BoardĀ of Canada (IRB) is transformingĀ itsĀ operating model.Ā The IRB revised its processes by: 1. deciding less complex refugee claims without a